Thursday, June 24, 2010

Meditation

In my meditation this morning I saw and then stayed
with a scene which began with a mule in a work
harness.
The animal was standing in half shade. It was
very hot and dry, in this corner of a large southern
field. It was all open, except for trees and scrub
along the edges.
I am familiar with the intensity of mid day heat in
places such as central Pennsylvania, Maryland.
But I can only imagine, the breathlessness of heat
further south.
I had no indication of water. I only perceived the
length of the work day.
My next image was the load: pulling of a Plow-
all day…
I know sometimes teams are used; and it could have
been oxen, or draft horses. No matter; the harness, the
heat, the work: are all the same.
What must it take for these animals to do this?
Every Day.
If it were my job to match them,what they have
inside- what qualities would I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment